Sara Basrai

.
.

Street Baby

I’m born and I’m born

Honduras

To
Mother can’t care
4 me
She
Thirteen
thirteen
Sniffing yellow glue
Am born in a shack
By a dump
Am growing up
Aged 2
Working on the dump
Breathing in bad air
sniff
Kicked by dump's
boss
Making friends

Growing up
Police hate
Stealing and running
Man is grabbing
Hurting
hurting
Hurting

Train to
América
Train to America
Hanging on the roof
Digging with nails
faster
Through tunnels
Lowering head
Faster
heat of the day
Thirsty
Faster
Hungry
Holding on
holding on
Kid overboard
faster
Killed on the rail
Dying
Faster
gone

In America,
Walking through the desert
Hot
Police
police
Papers
Hot
Police
Papers
Crying
Crying
Hot
Police
papers

Back Home

Working
On the dump
Working on the
Dump
Garbage
sniff
Junk
Sniffing yellow
Glue
Having a
Baby
Sniff

I’m born and
I’m born
To
Mother can’t
care 4

me

me?


Bio:
Sara Basrai is a UK citizen who lives in NYC with her husband and two young children. She used to teach in London schools. She grew up collecting money for Amnesty International with her mother. Her writing appears in 34th Parallel, Outwardlink.net, the Cloud anthology. Her poetry will appear in Grey Sparrow Press and Nefarious Ballerina.


(author retains copyright)